On Tuesday, 6 October 2015 at 18:40:17 UTC, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
Well that's good to hear. KDE4 went through the same path. After spending time with KDE4, I found it to be it a terrible blunder of an upgrade even after, several point releases in, people were saying it had finally been fixed. It still has some warts that annoy me (and some things I just gave in on), but it's finally won me back from my hiatus with XFCE/LXDE. Looking forward to v5 stabilizing further.

IIRC, KDE 4 really became properly usable around 4.2, and of course, around that time, kmail when to hell in a handbasket, because they added that akonadi trash to kdepim and switched to that for kmail's backend. *bleh*

kmail has a great UI, but its backend sucks big time, and since AFAIK, they've never acknowledged that it's a horrible design, they're probably never going to fix it... :(

Oh, well. On the whole, KDE 4 has been quite solid for quite a long time now, and nothing else even comes close to what I'm looking for. Fortunately, the transition to KDE 5 should be much smoother, because they don't have to redesign all of the guts this time. But still, I'd just as soon not jump on it very quickly.

- Jonathan M Davis