On Friday, 20 May 2016 at 22:01:21 UTC, Georgi D wrote:
This is a very interesting idea. I see one problem though: The real issue is not just the return type but also the types of the input parameters to a function. So even if the return type of a method is encoded as "auto" the moment the result of that method is passed as parameter to another template method the long typename will resurface. I do not think the type of the input parameters could be encoded as "auto" since the different instances of a template method will clash in names.

In essence the problem that should be solved is the long names of types.

I keep having it go through my head, if we had to hash the result, I'd prefer to has the source (minus comments & whitespace, and after replacements have been done) to come up with a reproducible value. This of course is if long names or compression won't do the job.