On Friday, 20 May 2016 at 12:57:40 UTC, ZombineDev wrote:

As I said earlier, it would be best if can prevent the generation of long symbols in the first place, because that would improve the compilation times significantly.

From what I've observed, generating the long symbol name itself is fast. If we avoid the deep type hierarchy, then I think indeed you can expect compile time improvement.

Walter's PR slows down the compilation with 25-40% according to my tests. I expect that compilation would be faster if the whole process is skipped altogether.

MD5 hashing slowed down builds by a few percent for Weka (note: LDC machinecodegen is slower than DMD's, so percentage-wise...), which can then be compensated for using PGO ;-) /+ <-- shameless PGO plug +/