As someone who has recently chosen D for a major project (a game/engine), I can confidently say that the biggest distinction for me between getting start with D versus something like Go is developer tooling. For Go I installed Go, installed a go intellij plugin, which automatically installed gocode and I was up and running. For D I had to install DMD (and learn about all the different compilers)[0], install dub, install workspace-d, install visual studio code (because the visual studio plugin had a linking error), and then I could finally have a complete setup.

I think if dub were distributed with DMD, along with a utility to install global programs (that way a D plugin can just call `dub install workspace-d` or similar), it would make it very easy to get started with D.

For reference, Cargo (Rust's package manager) allows `cargo install` https://github.com/rust-lang/rfcs/blob/master/text/1200-cargo-install.md

[0] As much as the "reference compiler vs faster compiler" distinction, I feel like languages that have a single official compiler that you can use for development and production (e.g. Go/Rust) are much friendlier.