Nick Sabalausky wrote:
"Travis Boucher" <boucher.tra...@gmail.com> wrote in message news:he7apn$2cr...@digitalmars.com...
Yigal Chripun wrote:
Based on recent discussions on the NG a few features were deprecated/removed from D, such as typedef and C style struct initializers.

IMO this cleanup and polish is important and all successful languages do such cleanup for major releases (Python and Ruby come to mind). I'm glad to see that D follows in those footsteps instead of accumulating craft like C++ does.

As part of this trend of cleaning up D before the release of D2, what other features/craft should be removed/deprecated?

I suggest reverse_foreach and c style function pointers

please add your candidates for removal.

Make version() statements case insensitive, although I guess that would be addition and not removal. Either that, or add the common cases for all reserved version keywords (or at least some consistency, linux and FreeBSD).

Yes! Capitalization consistency in the predefined versions! If it needs to be worded as a "removal", then "Remove version's capitalization inconsistencies" ;). The current state of that is absolutely ridiculous, and frankly, a real PITA ("Ok, I need to version for Blah OS...now what random capitalization did Walter chose to use for that one again...?"). I don't care about that change breaking existing code: For one thing, it's D2, it's not supposed to be stable yet, and secondly: Just say "with this release, grep all your code for "version" and update your capitalizations", or, better yet, depricate any use of the old names as errors, and just get the damn issue fixed already!

In alot of places, I think he tried to use GCC's capitalization. It is implementation defined, which makes sense since some implementation target different things. However, I think the specs should say either 'version statements are not case sensitive' or 'implementation-defined versions much all be in (lower|UPPER) case'.