On Tuesday, 26 December 2017 at 11:54:12 UTC, codephantom wrote:
On Tuesday, 26 December 2017 at 10:00:25 UTC, Paolo Invernizzi wrote:
IMHO, the lost list of vulnerability in code shipped by "first class enterprises" is just crying out that C/C++ is not mechanically checkable. And we are talking about company that can literally spend an Everest of money on that.

/Paolo

Well, the 'mechanics of checking' continue to need improvement, whether it's C, C++, D, or whatever....

A language that is flexible enough to do the things you can do with such a language, comes at a cost.. which is safety (or program correctness to be precise). Flexibility breeds bugs! That's just how it is. It's inescapable.

And I doubt that it has anything to do with how much money you can spend.

In the example below, which is D code, I simply have to 'forget' to annotate with @safe, and then it's anyone's guess at to what will happen (at least in the second example)

i.e. the mechanical checks don't occur because I simply 'forgot' to do something.

// ---
module test;

import std.stdio;

// from: https://dlang.org/blog/2016/09/28/how-to-write-trusted-code-in-d/

// look at how flexible D is...
void main()
{
    auto buf = new int[1];

    //buf[2] = 1; // compiles ok, even with @safe.
                  // but get range violation at runtime,
                  // whether you use @safe or not
                  // (unless you've disabled bounds checking)

    buf.ptr[2] = 1; // compiles ok, runs ok  - or does it?
                    // however, if you 'remember' to use @safe,
                    // then it won't compile, and you're safe.

}
// -----

I have to disagree, again.

It's factual that you can mechanically impose that a module contains only @safe code, and you can do it in multiple ways. You can 'mechanically' impose to write memory safe code in D.

With C/C++ you simply can't do it anything similar, today (and, IMHO, neither tomorrow): the rising of Rust is here to tell us exactly that.

/Paolo