On Wednesday, 27 December 2017 at 07:49:33 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:

AS is a hackish workaround for the failure of the language to prevent such things.

AS is just a more modern valgrind, which has been around for ages, and has failed to turn C/C++ into memory safe languages.

Well, I don't want C to become a memory safe programming language. I want my pointer to be able to point to anywhere, and I mean..anywhere ;-)

As for D, I agree that memory safety is clearly not an afterthought that requires 'hackish workarounds', like C++ needs.

btw. I'd like to see D 3.x introduce a breaking change and make @safe the default, instead of @system. I think that would be huge boost for D going forward.

How practical that is, I would have no idea.

But as an 'end user' of D, I would prefer to have to explicitely mark code as @system, rather than have to explicitely mark code as @safe, and therefore having to find tools that help me check whether I 'forgot' to do that.