Sun, 22 Aug 2010 17:50:06 +0200, Andrej Mitrovic wrote:

> Quake 2 is a 13 year old game. :)

The original argument was that Java code is slow, no matter what you're
trying to do. What kind of performance levels are you expecting?

If you take a look at the browser games available today (at least Andrei
probably knows them since he works at Facebook - http://
mashable.com/2009/10/16/top-facebook-games/ ), you can see that not a
single one of them requires more performance than Quake 2.

Top 10 indie games from 2008:

http://gearcrave.com/2009-01-05/the-year-of-indie-games-2008s-ten-best-
independent-games/

Again, no problem.

Top 10 indie games from the last year:

http://news.bigdownload.com/photos/best-indie-games-of-2009-1/

You can basically write any modern, award winning game in Java; there are
absolutely no problems whatsoever. Why are we always bringing up the
issues with Eclipse, Netbeans, and Vuze when discussing Java's
performance? It almost seems like everyone here is trying to prove that
one simply cannot write any desktop application in Java, because it's
*that* slow. Even if you had a gazillion GHz CPU, a Pong or Tetris in
Java would look sluggish and have 10 minute pauses because of the GC.

I did even more googling and found very surprising results:

http://dotnot.org/blog/archives/2008/03/10/xml-benchmarks-updated-graphs-
with-rapidxml/

It appears that in XML parsing Java is actually 5..10 times faster than
D1/Phobos. Maybe D2/Phobos has finally fixed these issues.