On Mon, 23 Aug 2010 00:31:49 +0300, retard <r...@tard.com.invalid> wrote:

Sun, 22 Aug 2010 16:08:41 -0500, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:

On 08/22/2010 03:31 PM, retard wrote:
I'm just asking, why software like this should be written in buggy D if
production ready Java already executes fast enough? You must desire
absolute hard-core super mega performance to justify the use of D.

Assuming the question is not tendentious: The decision of choosing a
language has quite a few more ingredients than speed of generated code
and quality of implementation.

It's really not intentionally tendentious although I often have that kind
of tone. We used to have a desperate need for systems programming
languages in gamedev mostly because of the efficiency concerns. Some
320x200x8bit VGA game would have had 0.1 FPS on 80486 / Python!

Now, given that we're not developing any AAA titles anyway, the major VM
languages such as C# and Java are actually good enough. No more dangerous
unsafe memory operations (pointer arithmetic, segfaults etc.). Those
languages come with mature gamedev frameworks and the performance is
orders of magnitude better than one could hope. E.g. XNA 4.0 and Unity3D
3.0 are very competitive despite some backwards compatibility problems.
You don't even write much code anymore, it's just few mouse clicks here
and there. I feel the network effect is against D here.

Both of these engines are for artists or small games, no serious game engine built on nothing but C++,
though not saying it is great, it is just best tool for the job.

I am sure most of the people that actually into D is high performance application coders, others really don't have many reasons for a migration.