On Wed, 18 Aug 2010 23:11:26 -0400, Rainer Deyke <rain...@eldwood.com> wrote:

On 8/18/2010 20:37, dsimcha wrote:
I've been hacking in Phobos and parallelfuture and I've come to the conclusion that having typeof(c) in the expression foreach(c; string.init) not be a dchar
is simply ridiculous.

I have long ago come to the opposite conclusion.  An array of 'char'
should act like any other array.  If you want a sequence of 'dchar' that
is internally stored as an array of 'char', don't call it 'char[]'.

I have to agree with Rainer here. I think maybe string shouldn't just be an immutable(char)[]. I'd rather see it as a struct that wraps a char[] and presents the appropriate interface.

Ditto for wchar.

-Steve