On 12/16/2010 08:39 AM, Justin Johansson wrote:
Just wondering how others rate Thunderbird as a decent newsreader.

In general I am happy with it. It has a couple of minor bugs or a feature missing that I want, but there's a lot that it does right. (Thanks to the person who recommended the QuoteCollapse add-on. This newsgroup desperately needs it.)

For one thing, and perhaps this is a newsgroup server problem, but I
doubt it, my Thunderbird client shows a number of D NG topics as being
unread though the folder tree item for d.D shows all items as read.

Try right-clicking on the newsgroup and selecting Mark Newsgroup Read. I think the unread number you see might be from not downloading all the messages.

Aside from that issue, my experience with Thunderbird is that it is not
particularly innovative in drawing my attention to the high-traffic
topics apart from telling me that one-or-more responses are unread (as
opposed to popular topics for example).

In the columns list, there's a button to customize what columns to display. One of them is Total. If you collapse all threads ('\' hotkey, under View -> Threads on the menu), you'll get a count for each thread.

The above applies to version 3.0.