On Tue, 18 Jan 2011 13:27:56 +0200, bearophile <bearophileh...@lycos.com> wrote:

Vladimir Panteleev:

Forcing a code repository is bad.

In this case I was not suggesting to force things :-) But having a place to find reliable modules is very good.

This is not practical.

It works in Python, Ruby and often in Perl too, so I don't agree.

I think we have a misunderstanding, then? Who ensures that the modules "just work"? If someone breaks something, are they thrown out of The Holy Repository?

I assume you mean naming conventions and not actual code style (indentation etc.)

I meant that D code written by different people is better looking similar, where possible. C/C++ programmers have too much freedom where freedom is not necessary. Reducing some of such useless freedom helps improve the code ecosystem.

It also demotivates and alienates programmers.

- Currently D packages are not working well yet, there are bug reports on this. - Something higher level than packages is useful when you build very large systems. - Module system theory from ML-like languages shows many years old ideas that otherwise will need to be painfully re-invented half-broken by D language developers. Sometimes wasting three days reading saves you some years of pain.

I'm curious (not arguing), can you provide examples? I can't think of any drastic improvements to the package system.

I don't think this is practical until someone writes a D interpreter.

CTFE interpter is already there :-)

So you think the subset of D that's CTFE-able is good enough to make an interactive console that's actually useful?

--
Best regards,
 Vladimir                            mailto:vladi...@thecybershadow.net