On Tue, 18 Jan 2011 14:30:53 +0200, bearophile <bearophileh...@lycos.com> wrote:

Vladimir Panteleev:

I think we have a misunderstanding, then? Who ensures that the modules
"just work"? If someone breaks something, are they thrown out of The Holy
Repository?

There is no single solution to such problems. It's a matter of creating rules and lot of work to enforce them as years pass. If you talk about Holy things you are pushing this discussion toward a stupid direction.

If a single entity controls the inclusion of submissions into an important set, then there will inevitably be conflicts. Also I still have no idea what you meant when you said that Python, Ruby and Perl do it. AFAIK their repositories are open and anyone can submit their project.

I'm curious (not arguing), can you provide examples? I can't think of any drastic
improvements to the package system.

I was talking about fixing bugs, improving strength, maybe later adding super-packages, and generally taking a good look at the literature about the damn ML-style module systems and their theory.

I meant examples of why this is useful for D. (Why are you damning the ML-style module systems?)

--
Best regards,
 Vladimir                            mailto:vladi...@thecybershadow.net