Am 19.01.2011 07:35, schrieb Vladimir Panteleev:
On Wed, 19 Jan 2011 08:09:11 +0200, Austin Hastings <ah0801...@yahoo.com> wrote:

On 1/19/2011 12:50 AM, Vladimir Panteleev wrote:
On Wed, 19 Jan 2011 07:16:40 +0200, Austin Hastings
<ah0801...@yahoo.com> wrote:

None of them worked.

Most of those build utilities do exactly what make + your perl-foo do.

No, they don't.

Actually, you're probably right here. To my knowledge, there are only two build
tools that take advantage of the -deps compiler option - rdmd and xfbuild. Older
ones were forced to parse the source files - rebuild even used DMD's frontend
for that. There's also a relatively new tool (dbuild oslt?) which generates
makefiles.

That's the point: I was _getting started_ with D2. I had no strong desire to
reinvent the wheel, build tool-wise. But the tools I was pointed at just
didn't work.

When a tool works for the author and many other users but not for you, you have
to wonder where the fault really is. Besides, aren't all these tools
open-source? The one time I had a problem with DSSS, it was easy to fix, and I
sent the author a patch and everyone was better off from it. Isn't that how
open-source works? :)

When you're learning a language, you want to get familiar with it before starting to fix stuff.