Jérôme M. Berger Wrote:

> foobar wrote:
> > Tomek Sowiński Wrote:

> >> Actually that's a splendid idea. Let's take it easy. Regardless of that
> >> silly beef I'm really curious what distribution will emerge.
> >>
> >> What is your preferred *maximum* length for a line of D code? (please
> >> reply with a number only)
> >>
> >> --
> >> Tomek
> >>

> > I think that putting an artificial limit is incredibly stupid. Haven't
> > anyone here learned the "No magic numbers" rule?!?!
> >
> > Walter correctly pointed out that it's harder to read long rows, however,
> > unlike printed text and ancient terminals, current display technology is
> > much more dynamic.
> > Font size, zoom level, screen form-factor, window size, resolution, etc
> > means that each person can configure his own individual optimal view.
> >
> > As the OP said, use word wrap and adjust your editor window width/font
> > size/zoom level/etc to your liking.
> > If your editor does not support this "new" feature, go get a new editor and
> > don't bother other people with different preferences.
> > Stop forcing this moronic "one size fits all" attitude on everyone.
>
>       Do you know of any editor that can word wrap *while respecting
> indentation*? Any editor I know will wrap to the first column, which
> renders indentation pointless in the presence of long lines...
>
>               Jerome
> --
> mailto:jeber...@free.fr
> http://jeberger.free.fr
> Jabber: jeber...@jabber.fr

I personally prefer long lines and always code (in eclipse) when the code
editor is maximized. I never needed to word-wrap code due to my preferences but
every time I need to edit code written by a co-worker that uses Emacs on only a
third of the screen I struggle with the many redundant line breaks that just
keep breaking my train of thought.
I'm sure that it's trivial to add to a code editor that already provides auto
indentation a mode to do the same for word-wrap if it doesn't do that yet. In
any case, Even without that, it's much more readable than forcing redundant
line breaks in the middle of code-lines (e.g. "sentences").