On 18/01/2011 05:20, Walter Bright wrote:
http://urbanhonking.com/ideasfordozens/2011/01/18/what-makes-a-programming-language-good/

"I quit being a professional programmer."

I usually avoid discussions and dismiss out of hand opinions about software development from those who no longer develop code (did that recently with my boss, to cut off a discussion). Mostly for time saving, it's not that I think they automatically wrong, or even likely to be wrong.

Still, I read that article, and it's not bad, there are some good points. In fact, I strongly agree, in essence, with one of the things he said: That language ecosystems are what matter, not just the language itself. At least for most programmers, what you want is to develop software, software that is useful or interesting, it's not about staring at the beauty of your code and that's it. This, any language community that focuses excessively on the language only and forsakes, dismisses, or forgets the rest of the toolchain and ecosystem, will never succeed beyond a niche. (*cough* LISP *cough*)

--
Bruno Medeiros - Software Engineer