Iain Buclaw wrote:
I wish someone released prebuilt versions.
Compiling GCC on Windows is a PITA.

Windows is a PITA, period.

I tried using it as an everyday OS the other week. Something that I will never
try
again any time soon...

Fortunately one can run MinGW on other platforms, even if compiling for
Windows. By using Wine, one doesn't even have to run it on Windows...

# on Mac OS X:
$ x86_64-w64-mingw32-gdmd -m32 hello.d
$ wine hello.exe
Hello, World!

However, the 64-bit version of Wine doesn't work everywhere just yet
and the 64-version of Phobos for Windows had lots of issues as well.

So I didn't make a new prebuilt version for MinGW GCC 4.5.0 just yet...
(which is identical to FSF GCC 4.5.0 afaik, no MinGW patches necessary)

But the GCC 3.4.5* version is still on http://gdcwin.sourceforge.net/
Nobody volunteered to make a D2 version, and there's no GDC release yet.

* http://sourceforge.net/projects/mingw/files/MinGW/BaseSystem/GCC/Version3/Current%20Release_%20gcc-3.4.5-20060117-3/

Someone mentioned GDC on Win64. Someone has done it for D1, but I didn't bother
merging half of the patches I was given. Mostly because they were too
invasive/half complete. But that it can be done (minimally) is reassuring.

I made a GDC for Win64 MinGW during holidays, since I didn't want to
start the new year with the same old 32-bit compilers as in 2007...

http://www.digitalmars.com/pnews/read.php?server=news.digitalmars.com&group=digitalmars.D&artnum=125675

It was able to run Hello World (Phobos), and Hello World (wxWidgets*)
but I didn't bother patching it more than that. And lucky I didn't!

* http://wxd.sourceforge.net/Hello.html

Once those two were running 64-bit on all three platforms, I stopped.

But I _could_ make a Win32 version of MinGW GCC 4.5.0* and DMD 1.064 ?

* http://sourceforge.net/projects/mingw/files/MinGW/BaseSystem/GCC/Version4/gcc-4.5.0-1/

64-bit versions for Mac OS X 10.6 and Fedora 14 are already available.

To make a Win64 version, one need to change compiler from MinGW.org
to http://mingw-w64.sourceforge.net/ but otherwise straight-forward:

http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/mingw-w64/wiki/Cross%20Win32%20and%20Win64%20compiler
http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/mingw-w64/wiki/Native%20Win64%20compiler

--anders