On Tue, 01 Mar 2011 16:23:43 +0000, dsimcha wrote:

> Ok, so that's one issue to cross off the list.  To summarize the
> discussion so far, most of it's revolved around the issue of
> automatically determining how many CPUs are available and therefore how
> many threads the default pool should have. Previously, std.parallelism
> had been using core.cpuid for this task.  This module doesn't work yet
> on 64 bits and doesn't and isn't supposed to determine how many
> sockets/physical CPUs are available.  This was a point of
> miscommunication.
>
> std.parallelism now uses OS-specific APIs to determine the total number
> of cores available across all physical CPUs.  This appears to Just Work
> (TM) on 32-bit Windows, 32- and 64-bit Linux, and 32-bit Mac OS.
>
> We still need a volunteer to manage the review process.  As a reminder,
> for those of you who have been meaning to have a look but haven't, the
> Git repository is at:
>
> https://github.com/dsimcha/std.parallelism
>
> The pre-compiled documentation is at:
>
> http://cis.jhu.edu/~dsimcha/d/phobos/std_parallelism.html

I'll volunteer as the review manager.

Since the module has been through a few reviews already, both in this
group and on the Phobos mailing list, I don't think we need a lot more
time for that.  I suggest the following:

- We give it one more week for the final review, starting today, 4 March.
- If this review does not lead to major API changes, we start the vote
next Friday, 11 March.  Vote closes after one week, 18 March.

How does this sound?

-Lars