On 3/4/11 5:32 AM, Lars T. Kyllingstad wrote:
On Tue, 01 Mar 2011 16:23:43 +0000, dsimcha wrote:

Ok, so that's one issue to cross off the list.  To summarize the
discussion so far, most of it's revolved around the issue of
automatically determining how many CPUs are available and therefore how
many threads the default pool should have. Previously, std.parallelism
had been using core.cpuid for this task.  This module doesn't work yet
on 64 bits and doesn't and isn't supposed to determine how many
sockets/physical CPUs are available.  This was a point of
miscommunication.

std.parallelism now uses OS-specific APIs to determine the total number
of cores available across all physical CPUs.  This appears to Just Work
(TM) on 32-bit Windows, 32- and 64-bit Linux, and 32-bit Mac OS.

We still need a volunteer to manage the review process.  As a reminder,
for those of you who have been meaning to have a look but haven't, the
Git repository is at:

https://github.com/dsimcha/std.parallelism

The pre-compiled documentation is at:

http://cis.jhu.edu/~dsimcha/d/phobos/std_parallelism.html

I'll volunteer as the review manager.

Since the module has been through a few reviews already, both in this
group and on the Phobos mailing list, I don't think we need a lot more
time for that.  I suggest the following:

- We give it one more week for the final review, starting today, 4 March.
- If this review does not lead to major API changes, we start the vote
next Friday, 11 March.  Vote closes after one week, 18 March.

How does this sound?

-Lars

I suggest let's make the review three weeks and the vote one week.