Am 21.05.2011 07:12, schrieb Nick Sabalausky:
"Daniel Gibson"<metalcae...@gmail.com>  wrote in message
Am 21.05.2011 01:18, schrieb Nick Sabalausky:
"David Nadlinger"<s...@klickverbot.at>  wrote in message
On 5/21/11 12:34 AM, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
And again, using Wine doesn't count as supporting Linux, so why the
hell
should the other way around be any different?

Because, at least in my eyes, there is a huge difference between telling
your users that using Wine they might be able to get your software to
work
on Linux (which is typically the most you can hope for if you are a
Linux
user), and using MinGW to make porting your application to Windows
easier,
which is not necessarily visible to the end user.

OSS programs, which most Linux programs are, are expected to be
compilable
by the user. Therefore, if msys or mingw are required to build it, then
it
*is* visible to the end user.

Compiling on Windows always sucks and is generally not done by the end
*user* (who generally is not a coder).
And I think it's easier for the user to install MinGW and MSYS and run
make than installing and configuring Visual Studio (especially when the
project is for another, maybe older, version) and use that for compiling.

My experience has been the other way around. Besides, a *lot* of windows
programmers don't use Visual Studio. I don't. (Used to, back around versions
5-6 and early .NET, but not anymore.)

So how do you compile C/C++ code on windows? DMC? Fine for your code but I guess most open source projects don't support it.
Dev-C++, Eclpse CDT, ...? AFAIK they use the mingw compiler :P

And with D, compiling is equally easy/hard on both Windows/Linux :)

If the projects uses GNU makefiles (which is quite common on Linux) you need MSYS or something like that to compile it on Windows.