On Wed, 15 Jun 2011 11:56:25 -0400, Andrei Alexandrescu <seewebsiteforem...@erdani.org> wrote:

On 6/15/11 10:52 AM, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
It occurs to me that you ought to treat network things identically
to local modules in every way...

dmd app.d ../library.d

just works. I propose:

dmd app.d http://whatever.com/library.d

should just work too - dmd would need only to recognize module name
starts with xxxx:// and pass it to the dget program to translate.

Thought of that, too, and also of the idea of two posters in this thread to have dget pipe the module to stdout.

The main issue we need to address is what __FILE__ is for such modules and how we point users to the location of possible compilation and runtime errors.

Change as little as possible internally IMO, __FILE__ should be the url that dmd receives from the command line.

That also brings up a good point -- dget has to tell dmd where it got the file from so it can fill in __FILE__ in the case where it's not in a pragma.

-Steve