On 9/4/11 7:10 AM, Michel Fortin wrote:
On 2011-09-04 06:53:27 +0000, Jonathan M Davis <jmdavisp...@gmx.com> said:

On Saturday, September 03, 2011 23:49:52 Walter Bright wrote:
I still use printf a lot. One reason is because it is lightweight -
using
writeln blows up the size of your .obj file, making it hard to track
down a
back end bug. This is a long standing gripe I have with writeln.

Well, while that may be a good reason to use printf, it really doesn't
apply
to very many D programmers. Your average D programmer really has no
need to
use printf.

That may be true, but the average D programmer will also, directly or
indirectly, call C APIs which may use printf to write things to the
console. I'm not sure it's much of a problem though. For one thing, C
APIs generally don't print things on their own.

And also, I doubt using D IO by default will break printf that much: I
mean if C IO is used to print lines, those lines will be flushed as
they're emitted, with no possible weird interleaving unless the line is
really too long.

No, things are more complex; the interference will be major unless explicitly addressed.