On 2011-09-04 19:36:23 +0000, Andrei Alexandrescu <seewebsiteforem...@erdani.org> said:

It depends on the buffering mode of the stream, and also of the buffering mode of whatever alternative abstraction is being used.

Sorry for being curt - I trusted Walter's earlier explanation would suffice.

Actually my assumption wasn't too bad within its own boundaries. I was only thinking about stdout and it being line-buffered by default. Looking into it a little more, I'm not sure what would happen to stdin and stdout isn't always line-buffered by default anyway (if the output isn't a terminal for instance).

So I have to agree with you that mixing the two won't work well in most cases. Sorry for the distraction.

--
Michel Fortin
michel.for...@michelf.com