On 2011-09-06 08:00, Walter Bright wrote:
I agree with all of the above. However, as is often the case, there's
more than
one side to the story.

Bad APIs have their costs too. We can't afford to have an XML library
that
offers few and badly packaged features and comes at the tail of all
benchmarks.
We also can't afford a JSON library that is poorly designed and badly
written.
Ironically, the costs mostly manifest the same way: people will decide
not to
use D because it "lacks good libraries" and "is quirky to use". In
many ways a
language's standard library is a showcase of the language, and to a
newcomer an
inconsistent and awkward standard library affects the perception of the
language's quality.

I agree that the XML and JSON libraries need to be scrapped and
rewritten. But simply changing the names of otherwise successful APIs is
not worth while.

So we have to live with these naming conventions from C forever?

--
/Jacob Carlborg