Walter Bright wrote:
> I agree that the XML and JSON libraries need to be scrapped and rewritten.

Ugh, I actually use the std.json.

> Furthermore, in order to work successfully, gofix [...]

The easiest way to do that is run the compiler. If an error occurs,
go to the given line of the problem and maybe automatically replace
with the spell checker's suggestion. Then in case that's wrong, ask
the user to confirm it.

... which is pretty much what my editor (vim) already does!

Changing names is annoying, but it's not a difficult task, with what
we have now. The compiler already does 90% of the work, and even
fairly simple editors will bring it to about 98%.

I'll bitch about it, but it isn't a big enough deal to bother with
a gofix. Trivial fixes are already trivial fixes. I'd prefer to
avoid them, but let's not forget that the compiler already does most
the work.

The more annoying changes are where stuff changes wholesale, so
the code needs to be rethought, data needs to be changed, and
so on. These are just huge sinks of pain.

And, no, a long deprecation time doesn't change anything.
Whether I spend thousands of dollars today changing it or thousands
of dollars in six months changing it, the fact is I'm still out
thousands of dollars.