On Thursday, September 08, 2011 21:38:43 Jacob Carlborg wrote:
> On 2011-09-08 15:22, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
> > On Thu, 08 Sep 2011 09:16:40 -0400, Jacob Carlborg <d...@me.com> wrote:
> >> The Tango XML parser doesn't read from a file, it takes the input as a
> >> string. The parser isn't affected by I/O at all.
> >
> > So you have to read the entire file before sending it to the parser?
> >
> > Isn't that a bit limited? What if I have a 50MB file, I have to read it
> > into a continuous memory block first?
> >
> > -Steve
>
> I'm just telling how Tango currently works, not how the XML module in
> Phobos should work. But I guess it might be somewhat limited. 50MB isn't
> that big to read into memory?
>
> I think it would be nice to be able to do both. If you read the whole
> file before sending it to the parser you would know it doesn't perform
> any I/O operations.

I expect that the the new std.xml will work on ranges of dchar (certainly, if
it doesn't it should) such that it could be used on a string that's the entire
file or on a stream over the file. If it's tied to reading in the whole file
first, it's a design flaw. But I don't know what the current state of the new
std.xml is. I don't think that I've seen Tomek around here recently.

- Jonathan M Davis