Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> With Linus being the head Linux guy, I assume he insists on using
> 8-char tabs. If so, it's no fucking wonder he's unable to handle
> any more than a minimal number of indents.

8 char tabs are a gift from God. 4 char indents barely even
register to my eyes.

Of course, the real gift is the '\t' character, since it's semantic
markup instead of the vile vile evil presentational markup that is
the space. Anyone who uses spaces is a heretic and should be
excommunicated.

:-P but seriously, excommunication is too good for 'em, I say.

BTW 80 character lines kick ass. I like to stack and tile my
windows, so I prefer to not maximize any one window. Being able to
actually work with it when in a small window is very nice.

Of course, there's times when you just can't get around it, so
you do what you have to do.

Beautiful code is something that defies definition, but I know
ugly when I see it.

(that reminds me. "Write a style guide" someone said to me. OK,
I wrote back "don't vomit diarrhea". Good enough for me! Hire
someone who knows what he's doing, and it ought to be good enough
for anyone. Alas, they disagreed :-(.

But even in the final draft, "avoid idiotic repetition" was far
more important to me than trivialities like line length. Christ. )