On 09/12/2011 07:52 PM, Adam Ruppe wrote:
Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
Surely you're jesting.

Partially. For the most part, the metric system is better for science,
but for day to day stuff? Poo. Lots of silly things to remember and
the numbers don't line up well to regular stuff.

Could be due to the fact that I'm more used to it, but it's more
likely that my preferences are objectively superior to anyone who
disagrees :)

I bow to that!

Zero degrees Celsius is the water freezing temperature, which is a
very practical influencer (snow vs. rain, plants, crops, etc).

Zero degrees is just as arbitrary for that value as thirty-two
degrees.

Well I agree to that, but allow me to note that it's only one post away you mentioned "0" as a memorable number. I mean you can't make an argument to then refute it.

It's not easier to remember, nor does it simplify calculations,
especially since other constants are so random looking. (what's 1g
for force of gravity? The specific heat of water? Standard
temperature and pressure? All ugly numbers...)

But hey, whatever levitates your nautical vessel. Pro-metric
arguments just tend to annoy me because they like to focus on
irrelevant trivia, but the truth is they are both arbitrary and ugly.
My preference is just less ugly :-P

No prob. I'm just pointing out when objective is not apart from the subjective.