On 16/09/11 11:05 PM, dsimcha wrote:
== Quote from Walter Bright (newshou...@digitalmars.com)'s article
On 9/16/2011 2:47 PM, Peter Alexander wrote:
Essentially, I agree with his conclusion in the post. Tools and libraries would
be my biggest concerns (in that order). The fact that D (usually) makes things
easier for me barely registered when thinking about this.
If you had $100,000,000 none of these are an issue, as you can easily afford to
hire top developers to address any and all of them.
There's a reason why huge companies like Microsoft, Google, Intel and Apple
bring compiler dev in house. It's because they are so heavily reliant on
compiler technology, they cannot afford not to.

This is exactly what I was thinking, and it's even more true now that D has two
fully open-source compilers.  GDC is almost usable on x86 already.  ("Almost"
here
means there's one showstopper bug that keeps me from using it for real work.)
I'm
sure you could hire a dev or two to get it working well on ARM and/or PowerPC.
Think of all the money you'd save by not having to hire a bunch of extra people
write and maintain mountains of boilerplate.

Remember:

1. You don't get the money until the job is done.
2. It has to be done on time.

If you want to hire extra people then it comes out of your own money and you'll have to account for the time it would take to get all the tools working.