Peter Alexander wrote:
> On 16/09/11 11:05 PM, dsimcha wrote:
>> == Quote from Walter Bright (newshou...@digitalmars.com)'s article
>>> If you had $100,000,000 none of these are an issue, as you can
>>> easily afford to hire top developers to address any and all of them.
>>> There's a reason why huge companies like Microsoft, Google, Intel
>>> and Apple bring compiler dev in house. It's because they are so
>>> heavily reliant on compiler technology, they cannot afford not to.
>>
>> This is exactly what I was thinking, and it's even more true now
>> that D has two fully open-source compilers.  GDC is almost usable on
>> x86 already.  ("Almost" here means there's one showstopper bug that
>> keeps me from using it for real work.)  I'm sure you could hire a
>> dev or two to get it working well on ARM and/or PowerPC. Think of
>> all the money you'd save by not having to hire a bunch of extra
>> people to write and maintain mountains of boilerplate.
>
> Remember:
>
> 1. You don't get the money until the job is done.

Don't be silly. Half before project start and the rest according to
agreed upon payment schedule.

> 2. It has to be done on time.

Project risk for the developer is high given the lack of scope definition
and client wishful thinking, so this will only be offered as a Time and
Materials project.

> If you want to hire extra people then it comes out of your own money

Nice try at "getting something for nothing" ClientFromHell, Inc.

> and you'll have to account for the time it would take to get all the
> tools working.

My my, someone is sure living in fantasyland. Time and Materials, take it
or leave it.

Seriously, do people actually think that someone stupid enough to be
sucked into shit like that are capable of developing something large and
complex? (No they don't, they just want part of the work done to the
point where they can sue the contractor and then move on to another
victim without spending a dollar! Scumbags).