On 2011-12-02 23:57, Walter Bright wrote:
On 12/2/2011 2:15 PM, Adam Wilson wrote:
On Fri, 02 Dec 2011 12:15:55 -0800, Walter Bright
<newshou...@digitalmars.com>
wrote:

On 12/2/2011 11:29 AM, Gour wrote:
Moreover, developing something from the scratch woudl require enormous
amount of time in comparison with *just* providing higher-level D-ish
API for some of the already available GUI toolkit.

Developing a D GUI from scratch is way beyond our reach at the
moment. People
have spent enormous efforts developing GUI libraries for other
platforms,
there's no good reason for not leveraging their efforts.

I absolutely agree. However, I don't thank that we should exclude the
possibility of building a scratch library either.

At some point, a decision has to be made.

Consider that existing successful GUI libraries have had *enormous*
resources poured into them. That just is not possible in the D community
right now. And even if it were, do we really want to wait 5 years for it
to be built?

Of course, if someone still wants to develop a D GUI from scratch,
nobody is going to stop them.

It's not just the code involved. It's the tutorials, web sites, manuals,
support, etc., that would have to be reinvented. By developing a D
interface
to an existing one, none of that has to be developed.

This is too true. But if it was easy, everybody would be doing it. You
could say
the same thing about compilers, but that didn't stop you ... :-)

Frankly, I think a compiler is much easier to build.

Well, that's just only you who thinks like that :)

--
/Jacob Carlborg