On 12/26/11 8:23 PM, Peter Alexander wrote:
We can easily have opDispatch look at field names. But I think it's poor
design to expose bald data anyway.

I disagree, especially with immutable structs. There's no point wrapping
immutable data in functions or properties.

Good point. It can be done.

Embedded type aliases are more of a problem, but still doable. For example say DListImpl defines a type DListImpl!(T).Range inside - that should be accessible also as DList!(T).Range.

Also, what about template member functions of the held object?

struct Foo
{
int get(int X)() { return X; }
}

void main()
{
RefCounted!Foo f;
writeln(f.get!123()); // Doesn't work either
}

This is a problem.

I would recommend postponing any major additions to Phobos that use
opDispatch to forward calls until it has been investigated in full.

We're a long way from adding to Phobos, so no need to worry.

I am
not convinced that it can be used seamlessly without some relatively
large changes to the language.

I repeat that opDispatch and auto ref were invented for this, so anything that doesn't work now is a bug. There are no changes needed to the language, only fix the bugs :o).

Another potential problem of the top of my head: what about operator
overloads on the held object? Just forward from opUnary/opBinary etc.?

Will work.

What about held objects that overload opAssign?

Already works.

What if the held object is itself a RefCounted?

Well I'd say it should all work as expected!