On 2012-03-28 17:23, Bennie Copeland wrote:

I'm still new at low level programming topics like ABI's etc, so I'll
betray my ignorance. Is the druntime only required for providing an
interface between the executable and OS resources like IO, or is it
inseparable from the language? For example, if I wrote the shell of an
iOS app in Obj-C that handled the interface with the phone
software/hardware, could the remaining core be written using D? Or is
the language capabilities like GC, slicing, mixins, etc. intimately tied
to the runtime or phobes?

Druntime is basically inseparable from the language. Among other things it contains the GC, it's used for handling arrays (appending, concatenation, slicing, switch statements and so on), threads, thread local storage (TLS) and a lot of other stuff I can't remember right now.

But I don't see that stopping anyone for writing parts of an app using Objective-C and the other parts using D.

--
/Jacob Carlborg