On Friday, 30 March 2012 at 14:46:16 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
Starting a new thread from one in announce:

http://prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?LanguageDevel/DIPs/DIP16

Please comment, after which Walter will approve. Walter's approval means that he would approve a pull request implementing DIP16 (subject to regular correctness checks).

Destroy!

Andrei

Hooray! I was loudly complaining about this issue for years. I'm glad this is finally going to be taken care of.

1. Regarding naming - as others mentioned it's inconvenient for sorting. How about changing the file extension instead of the name? e.g have a "algorithm.package" instead of "algorithm.d"? The compiler could even ignore the name of the file as long as it has the proper extension - check for existence of "*.package". The compiler should enforce that there's at most one such package file to prevent ambiguities - regardless of the chosen naming scheme.

2. Regarding documentation - I'd encourage (via a D style guideline) putting the overview of the package in this file. A tool such as Ruby's codnar would nicely compliment the reference generated by DDoc. see https://www.ruby-toolbox.com/gems/codnar for details.

3. std.algorithm should be deprecated and eventually removed. All code *is* essentially algorithms and as such importing this module makes as much sense as doing:
import code; // generic much?

4. regarding the look-up rules - I'm unsure about this part of the proposal. Others already voiced concerns about issues this might bring.