On 29.04.2012 3:25, foobar wrote:
On Saturday, 28 April 2012 at 20:43:38 UTC, Timon Gehr wrote:
On 04/28/2012 09:58 PM, foobar wrote:
On Saturday, 28 April 2012 at 18:48:18 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
Andrei and I had a fun discussion last night about this question. The
idea was which features in D are redundant and/or do not add
significant value?

A couple already agreed upon ones are typedef and the cfloat, cdouble
and creal types.

What's your list?

D has a lot of ad-hock features which make the language
needlessly large and complex. I'd strive to replace these with
better general purpose mechanisms.

My list:
* I'd start with getting rid of foreach completely. (not just
foreach_reverse).

foreach is very useful. Have you actually used D?

I have used D and didn't claim that foreach isn't useful.
What I said that is that it belongs in the library, NOT the language.

C++ was criticized for a long time for NOT having foreach in the language. Now they have http://www2.research.att.com/~bs/C++0xFAQ.html#for. Also people were so desperate to gave it that even this http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_49_0/doc/html/foreach.html was considered a nice addition to boost (and still part of it).

Obviously somehow you want to go into the opposite direction. Beats me.

--
Dmitry Olshansky