On Wednesday, 4 July 2012 at 12:24:14 UTC, trav...@phare.normalesup.org (Christophe Travert) wrote:
I am not sure what would be worse, in the long run, between asking developpers to make front remain valid after popFront until next call to front, or having two different standard ways to iterate an input range (front/popFront and consumeFront).
Just to clarify (although I gave up with that idea):
my suggestion was not to require that value returned from front was valid until next call to front. It was the following:

in those ranges where value returned from front is invalidated after a call to popFront, define consumeFront in a such way that an equivalent of popFront is deferred until the next call to any of [front, popFront, consumeFront], and make empty take into account information whether popFront is pending.

Currently I think that idea was very bad, given that it would be difficult to find all ranges which invalidate previous front value on popFront.