On Wednesday, 4 July 2012 at 08:31:05 UTC, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
He was suggesting that a range like ByLine define consumeFront and then play games to make it work. So, instead of doing the equivalent of

auto retval = range.front;
range.popFront();
return retval;

only more efficiently, it would be trying to save state to make the front that it returned still be valid, when in ranges like ByLine, it's not, because the buffer that front returns is reused.

Oh I see, now I see the issue, thanks.

I'm not sure though, is the lack of a reusable buffer really a problem? I mean, at the worst case it's 1 extra copy of the data, which shouldn't really be too bad... has this actually been a performance bottleneck for anyone?