On Monday, 30 July 2012 at 22:54:59 UTC, Stuart wrote:
I'm about ready to give up here. I like the idea of D, but it's like using fucking Linux: Absolutely everything needs to be compiled before you can use it; and nothing will compile because you need to do fifty other goddamn things that aren't mentioned in the readme, so you have to post on dozens of sodding forums for a week hoping someone throws you a bone.

All I want is to be able to write a GUI application using phrases like "button1.dock = Fill". Is that so much to ask? Apparently it is.

DFL won't compile. D-IDE doesn't work at all. VisualD crashes all the time. The Eclipse IDE plugin doesn't work either. None of the IDEs have any kind of reliable intellisense. The optional "module" keywords aren't optional. The whole fucking thing's a shambles, just like everything else designed for Linux.

It's really getting on my tits. Even using MFC is easier than this.

You're expecting the same diversity and quality of the toolchain of a small, relatively new (D2 is from 2007) programming language as you do from giants like C++ and .NET languages. This is unreasonable. D is run by a couple of language designers and its community - there is no backing from massive corporations or anything like that.

That does not mean we can't have good things - the community is really pulling its weight, despite its relatively small size (but growing at a remarkable rate) we have all kinds of great tools, including three up to date compilers, several on-going IDE projects, a growing multitude of libraries and bindings, etc.

As for VisualD, a lot of people - including myself - use it without issue. It has never crashed for me. I recommend you report your problem to the developer, or join development yourself. If you just want a stable production environment, start by disabling the clearly marked *experimental* auto-complete feature if you have it enabled.

Your swipes at Linux are ignorant and non-constructive. Besides, D has its roots on Windows, it's not "designed for Linux" in any way.

Your issues with compiling DFL are rooted completely in your own ignorance of the C/C++/D compilation model. You have a lot to learn and you should know that by now. Maybe tone down the aggressiveness a little; you've been generating a lot of noise lately.