The program was written with Ada and failed in a most stupid way. Is it not a proof enough that safety cannot be sensibly enforced by mechanical tools? And this was the main rationale for Ada from day one. If you check for possible commercial compilers you will see that most of them remember the days of Windows 95. Ada was forced on people by administrative means and died when those means were removed. I wonder how much Ada is in Curiosity on Mars. Let me guess, 0%?

The F35 runs on C++.

"Another difference with JSF is we have learned well the lesson that Moore's Law can work against you if you don't pay attention," Jeffreys continues. "So we have designed for technology refresh, so at the appropriate time we can stop putting in the 1 GHz processor board and swap out to the 2 GHz board without having to go back and do any redesign. We were once required to use a MIL-STD-1760 processor with Ada or other military languages; now we use commercial PowerPC with C++."