On 9/17/12 9:43 AM, Russel Winder wrote:
Somewhat hypocritically as I cannot volunteer myself just now… just
because Walter didn't get round to it, doesn't mean it can't be done.
People who want the feature should find a way of creating the resource
to make it happen. Four ways: volunteer to do the work themselves; club
together to raise the cash to contract someone to do the work; get an
organization to stump up a person to do the work; get an organization or
seven to stump up cash to contract someone to do the work. There is
nothing quite like providing a pull request to get things moving ;-)

Yah indeed. We should improve and systematize the use of DIPs. A DIP should have specific states such as "RFC", "For review", "Accepted", "Implementing", and "Implemented".

The acceptance of a DIP means that an implementation of it will be merged without objections (save, of course, for implementation-related ones).

Committing to such a process ensures that features are specified in good level of detail and would encourage people to work on things in understanding that their work will bear fruit.