I was kinda interested in HF-email until I found out I must buy a
"pactor" modem, either used or from SCS. As that one company is the
only source of hardware, it seems more a monopoly than free market.

Also - it's one more box to connect/power/configure/worry about. The
rig and computer (maybe antenna tuner) are enough.

But I'm pretty sure some of my digital software packages do Pactor
(Pactor I). Is that enough to send/receive email or is Pactor II/III a
must?

I recall reading that SCS published specs just fuzzy enough to pass
"no secrets" requlations but withheld enough so their protocol can't
be copied - is that the deal?

Assuming just Pactor (software mode in some digital software
applications) won't work, is there any current development towards the
ability to send/receive email via HF rigs without requiring a
proprietary box?

Thanks and 73,
Paul

The K3UK DIGITAL MODES SPOTTING CLUSTER AT telnet://208.15.25.196/