Hi again Walt,

I'll try to keep this brief. :-)

--- In digitalradio@yahoogroups.com, DuBose Walt Civ AETC CONS/LGCA
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> There's no rush to create another HF modem in open source...and I
think that
> most of those hams who are working in open source are also working
many
> hours at their regular jobs so time to do coding is limited.

I agree 100%, which is why I say I'm surprised that Linux has done
as well as it has.  There are core parts of the OS that really are
pretty complex, and while systems programmers are perhaps a little
more common than RF engineers, they're still not exactly commonplace.

> Do you want is primarily a stand-alone system but use
> the Internet if available or do you a system that is primarily
dependent on
> the Internet but can operate without it?

That's a routing question.  If the system uses some common routable
protocol (such as... uhh... TCP/IP! :-) ), it's easy to put that
decision off until a later time.  You could easily have your "router
PC" have a local DNS that directed all e-mail to
[EMAIL PROTECTED] to, e.g., a microwave link with another
repeater (or whatever) if your main Internet connection is down.

> Do you want this new mode/modem to use a computer's internal sound
card or
> use one or more sound cards or external sound cards?

By "external sound card" I take it you really mean some decent
bandwidth DAC/ADC device (like the GNU Radio USRP)?  Since from a
software perspective interal vs. external cards don't matter.

Personally, I like the idea of an OFDM type of system that makes it
very easy to add carriers.  If you only have, say, some simple
(inexpensive) sound card-based system, take your 3kHz bandwidth (or,
on VHF and above, perhaps 10-20kHz) and go with it.  If you have
dedicated external hardware (such as at a repeater site), go for as
much bandwidth as you can get and that "gentleman's agreements" will
allow.

>  If a high-speed and a high level of robustness is desired,
> then using current or similar current modes, the bandwidth needed
isn't
> going to fit into 3 KHz...so if we are stuck with 3 KHz on HF, why
would a
> programmer want to waste their time creating a new mode?

Because it's open source and works with a sound card, you'll have a
lot more users than the current situation with the relatively spendy
SCS modems.

--

I'm sorry to hear your Internet connectivity isn't that great.
Hopefully it's just a regional thing?  I wouldn't call the Internet

---Joel

The K3UK DIGITAL MODES SPOTTING CLUSTER AT telnet://208.15.25.196/