I've got 2 PK-232's here that I haven't used in nearly 20 years.  I've been active on the Wisconsin Sideband Nets.

Harv, N9AI
Washburn, WI

On 1/14/06, David Struebel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Winlink 2000 has solutions to many of the requirements that you list. However in all cases until the computer calls
and delivers the message with an automated voice it still requires trained operator at the delivery end.
There is an active NTS digital network but lacking in stations willing to either draw the traffic off manaully or pass it on to other means of delivery.
If anyone is interested in joining NTSD either as a digital HF station or as a keyboarder to remove traffic drop me an email
and I can point you in the right direction.

Dave Struebel WB2FTX Eastern Area Digital Cordinator- NTSD

kd4e wrote:
It seems to me that if the E-mail system is involved at
all then Ham Radio is mostly irrelevant. Such messages
would likely to be rare except out of devastated areas
and even then folks are already deploying digital relay
stations to quick-up critical Internet access.

The need also presumes the absence of cellphone and
landline communications.

It seems to me that Ham Radio needs to offer a system
parallel to the Internet that delivers messages to people
without access to E-mail or where significant Internet
outages make quick restoration improbable (what that
means in terms of a threshold of downtime and of
geographical distribution is a future discussion).

We need a digital message forwarding system, that preferably
includes the capacity to optionally imbed small images, and
that has built in tracking and redundancy so that we always
know where the message is and if a station or a group of
stations are down there is always a way around.

It needs to be frequency and mode diversified so that the
best and fastest frequency and mode are automatically
selected (which may require the dropping of an attached
image to use a more simple digital mode in favor of getting
at least the text message through).

It needs to be operating system independent (MS Windows,
Linux, or Apple Mac) and require no costly and/or proprietary
hardware or software.

We have an example of cooperative distributed computing here:
http://folding.stanford.edu/ so citizens (Hams) may be expected
to figure out a way to do this!

Just some thoughts ... 73, doc kd4e

The public now expects messages to be delivered in a reasonable time. I
think 24 hours is about the maximum and really that is longer than most
expectations. Digital could have had a really huge impact on traffic
handling, but the interest is just not there.

The only possible way that digital traffic can succeed is if it can work
for most hams with easy to use access and be accessible at all times so
you don't have to show up for a net. I realize that the downside of all
this is the loss of camaraderie which I believe is one of the main glues
holding the current CW and voice systems together for now. And traffic
that comes in with an e-mail address needs to be dispatched immediately.
Ideally, we would also have better ways to insure delivery.

Will this ever happen? I used to think so, but have increasing doubts.
We may see a different type of activity though with the newer digital
technologies such as JNOS2, Winlink 2000, and now PSKmail where messages
can be delivered via the net ... if you have an e-mail address for the
recipient.

73, Rick, KV9U

Need a Digital mode QSO? Connect to  66.24.209.78

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

Need a Digital mode QSO? Connect to  66.24.209.78