I think I can answer some of your questions.

The ARRL definitely has taken the issue of having some kind of workable
network for emergency to heart. At least the past president did. After
doing a test to demonstrate how effective amateur radio networking is,
we were unable to deliver messages in a reasonable time frame and could
not handle messages with large amounts of data since NTS is primarily
geared for 25 or so words per message. My understanding was that he was
embarrassed over our inability to perform all that well.

The impression I have had (and someone correct me if they know
otherwise) is that then, out of desperation, he appointed a committee of
the two main Winlink 2000 owners along with mostly strong proponents of
Winlink 2000 to come up with a solution. Needless to say, the solution
was forced upon anyone on the committee who did not agree and one of the
worlds top digital developers of amateur radio software of all time
resigned from the committee under protest. And another major amateur
radio software developer stayed on the committee and issued a minority
report protesting what he felt was a railroad job.

This committee initially went so far as to recommend destruction of the
existing digital ham networks that used HF communications. You should be
happy with that as they wanted to stop the fully automatic "robot"
stations and, in particular, to stop the NTS/D which has used the
Winlink "classic" software which sends traffic primarily through amateur
radio. They wanted to end all fully automatic operation and only allow
semiautomatic operation.

Remember that the same people who own and control Winlink 2000 where the
same people who at one time owned and controlled the Winlink "classic"
system (and before that the Aplink system and the Netlink system). They
later allowed it to be used by others (including MARS) and now deeply
regret letting anyone else have this software and have been rather blunt
about it.

The changing of the rules is primarily changing the bandwidths of
signals, rather than their modes. I tend to favor that although from
what I have read from ARRL HQ statements, they will still have bandplans
and the bandplans may not allow for mixed modes, even though the FCC
rules would allow for them. Most of us want to follow the bandplans as
much as possible, at least I do, but find things hard to fathom at times.

I would have wanted a few areas on HF for wider BW subbands for high
speed networking primarily intended for emergency use. Perhaps a few KHz
for 6 or even wider subbands. Especially considering the grandfathering
in of very wide band AM operation. But there is little support for this
and so these modes will likely never be developed. The ~3 KHz BW area is
very limiting for higher speed and/or more robust data modes even though
there are some folks here who believe that the laws of science can be
overcome and we can have not only a robust digital voice mode in 3 KHz,
but can have multiple streams. Maybe hams can figure out something that
science has not, but I really doubt it.

If the ARRL leadership chooses wrongly, there could be long term
ramifications. This is the risk you take with a representative type of
democratic organization. We elect the the board to set policy. Most of
us provided a lot of recommendations to our Division Directors before
they voted on this, so it was not done in a vacuum as some seem to suggest.

I think most members are not going to be all that upset with what is in
effect a shrinking of the CW exclusive subbands (although they could be
used for other narrow band modes such as PSK31 and maybe some others
that have not been invented yet to fit in that size of bandwidth), a
shrinking of the fully automatic subbands, and allowing wider modes to
have a much larger subband area.

This means that analog voice can be expected to expand downward as well
but based upon the ARRL statements from the Executive Director,  I
expect that there will be bandplans that try to separate analog voice
from digital voice or digital data. This is going to be almost
impossible to enforce since for years the SSTV folks have had their
image data smack in the voice area and then have been using digital
image and from what I understand some experimental digital voice in the
voice subbands. It would be very difficult to tell them to move down. In
fact, you may note that it is not coincidence that the current SSTV
frequencies were selected to fall in the Advanced Class portions of the
bands.

No one wants to lose priveleges that they have had. This is the one
lesson that we should have all learned from the Incentive Licensing
disaster that was such an expensive lesson.