KV9U Wrote:

>What I do see is the restricting of
>bandwidths to ~3 or so KHz and that will make high speed digital
>protocols much more difficult since you can not ignore the science
>behind it.
[...snip...]
>the new proposals do not address my
>biggest concern of finally being able to intermix analog voice
>(and digital voice) with both data and image. Again that does
>not require huge changes either.

Two great points, both of which I happen to be very interested in.

Today, I agree that it'd be really tough to do digital voice in 3KHz.
Even the IMBE/AMBE compression format used on Project 25 Phase 2 systems
requires 6.25KHz. For amateur communication, we'd probably be willing to
accept less natural-sounding, more "communication quality", audio -- I
don't believe there's that been much work done in the area of "bad
sounding but highly intelligible" digital audio, but if we have to do
digital audio in 3KHz bandwidths I suspect that's where we're going to
have to look.

The issue of regulation of baud rate IS a pain, and it would be nice if
such restrictions were dropped.  Who cares how many phase shifts my
signal contains, so long as it stays within the prescribed bandwidth.

Also, as KV9U wrote, I think it's important to get the restriction
removed on the voice emission types. It's key to allow co-transmitted
voice and digital data, without requiring either (a) separate sidebands
for each or (b) the non-voice content to be "incidental" to the
transmission of the voice.  Though I suppose you could argue that ANY
low-speed digital data -- callsign, position, etc -- would be
"incidental" (and thus allowed even under current regs).

73,

de Peter K1PGV