I tend to be very supportive of new modes that enhance amateur radio,
particularly digital ones. As an early adopter of Amtor, then Pactor,
and even Clover II for short while, using the Aplink  and later the
Winlink system (not the same as Winlink 2000), and now many years later
the sound card modes, I very much look forward to technology that stays
within the rules of sharing a limited resource with many thousands of
licensed users.

The only pitfall that I have been concerned about thus far with ALE is
the issue of having many frequencies on separate bands and transmitting
on those bands without knowing if the frequency is in use. As long as
that is addressed, it could work well for certain ham uses. Some early
digital hams used to do this with Selcal and autostart RTTY equipment.
Even though ALE is more sophisticated, it seems that it is very similar
in the result.

If I understand Bonnie correctly from her recent post, PC-ALE does not
scan for frequencies and instead remains on one frequency. When you read
the HFlink website, you read that "When not actively in a QSO with
another station, each HF SSB transceiver constantly scans through a list
of frequencies, listening for its callsign." Since I am cursorily
familiar with commecial use of ALE, I took that to mean that it could be
on one amateur band or several bands.

This type of frequency scanning had been done years ago by Aplink and
Winlink systems, so it is not something new to the amateur bands.

Having a signal detect system with a timer for a reasonable monitoring
period, makes it much more practical for robot equipment to detect when
modulation occurs on the frequency and reset the timer. This is how
SCAMP worked. It was not a few milliseconds, but rather, it would run a
continuous test for many seconds to insure of the hidden transmitter
problem. In order to make that work even better in other than the
automatic subbands, you would likely have to extend that to a few
minutes unless there was some way to QRL the frequency.