> We have indeed amassed collection of soundcard digital mode
> implementations over the last few years, but I for one don't
> appreciate these being labeled "oddball". Advancing the state of the
> art is an important component of amateur radio; the lively debates
> here and elsewhere over technique and policy are hardly "petty
> squabbling", they are the crucible in which progress is forged.
> KN6KB's advancement of busy detection in SCAMP was encouraged by
> discussions here, for example.
>
> If someone seriously wants to stimulate concerted action toward
> a "unified approach", then a clear exposition of technical vision and
> mission would be a far more effective starting point. And when
> followup questions are posed, straight answers would be appreciated.
>
> 73,  Dave, AA6YQ

"Oddball" is the pejorative we apply to anyone or
anything with which we are uncomfortable.

Our discomfort generally arises from some sort of
fear, be it social, commercial, or otherwise.

SSB was an "oddball" mode to AMers.

AM is now an "oddball" mode to SSBers.

Most of what Edison, Tesla, and others proposed
was labeled "oddball".

The leaders of the scientific community in years
past pressured the neo-religious political leaders
of their day to repress the "oddball" view that
the sun did not revolve around the earth.

Microsoft spokesmen have frequently tried to stop
the growth of Linux using terminolgy very similar
to "oddball".

There is "... nothing new under the sun."

The plethora of digital modes, all of them in ways
"oddball" to most Hams let alone fans of other
digital modes, is an exciting evidence of technical
creativity whose decline has 'oft been bewailed.

That said, it may be valuable to the Ham digital
community for folks to combine efforts and to apply
brilliant minds to shared advances vs parallel
duplication of effort.

Movements toward standardization are fraught with
risk.  Standardization forced VHS vs the superior
BETA because those with superior market clout had
their way.

We must continue to press for the best and not the
momentarily most common, the best funded, or the
favored of one subgroup or another.

Slowly retreats from his irrepressible professor's
lectern ... :-)

--

Thanks! & 73,
doc, KD4E