> Rick KV9U  wrote:
> What radio services are we going to interoperate with?
> Even under emergency conditions, you need to
> be very careful about transmitting outside the ham bands.

Hi Rick,

The assigned channel interoperation problem already has a
solution that neither requires hams to transmit outside
the ham bands, nor gov/ngo/agency stations to transmit in the
ham bands. See:
http://www.hflink.com/interoperation/

> There will NO computers running at most hamshacks if you had
> a week without power. I have emergency back up AGM 80 amp
> hours but only for voice and HF. I could run a laptop but
> that would use up so much power that it would not be very wise.

A standard battery-operated transceiver like the FT-897 or a mobile or
car battery running almost any other ham rig would do fine. Add a
small laptop running on its own battery or an external battery. To
conserve battery power, simply turn on the radio when you want to
connect, link and pass the traffic, then turn it off. Continuous
operation isn't necessary with HF ALE to establish the link then using
5066 to run the data. It would take very little time to send a 5000
word message via digital HF.

> Are you suggesting that somehow you are going to have computers
>  and rigs on and running PC-ALE and somehow you are going to
> contact someone outside the ham bands?

That is certainly possible if no ham contact is available. But other
methods of interoperation are available to us with some advance
planning:  http://www.hflink.com/interoperation/

> Maybe it just me, but many of your ideas don't make any sense.
> And when you are asked about them, you can't even explain them.

Perhaps it is just that my explanations are not acceptable within
your framework of thought, or what you are seeking to know.
But if you want to engage in a discussion about a techical subject,
you would do well to learn a little background on it through your
own efforts, rather than rely upon others to explain everything
to you in bits and pieces, correcting your misconceptions.

Bonnie KQ6XA