Running a laptop under emergency conditions is not that practical other
than for short duration events. If you want to have ALE available you
need to keep the software running or else the ALE selcal would be
missed. For regular communications with AC power, then no problem. The
ALE antenna issue is a major one for either portable or fixed though.

We agree that it was not a good long term move to only allow the entry
level license access to VHF and up. I favor allowing CW and limited
(very limited) additional HF modes on a few bands. Especially bands that
are nearly unused most of the time. On the other hand, there are hams
such as my wife who have little interest in HF DXing or anything like
that. She has recently expressed a slight interest in HF for mobile use
due to our limited distances covered by repeaters, but only for
practical  use.

Having said that, with all the new rigs that have six meters and often
even higher VHF/UHF bands, it is incredibly easy to get on CW/SSB VHF
and up. Even so, there seems to be less interest today than there was
many years ago when it was much harder to get on these bands with other
than AM or FM rigs. Especially when you consider the number of hams who
can get on these frequencies and modes. The VHF and higher frequency
bands have a wealth of potential experimentation, long distance/weak
signal, EME, meteor scatter, high speed linking, etc. But there just is
not an interest by most hams. For example, I have suggested that I can
be QRV 160 through 6 meters on most all sound card modes. But almost no
takers in my area.

In terms of HF e-mail, there is not really enough spectrum space to
handle much traffic. Especially with the intrusive wide band modes that
take up an entire voice bandwidth. The good news is that PSKmail is a
good start to do exactly what you want. In fact, it is really the only
decentralized e-mail currently available for the amateur bands. For
casual use, Winlink 2000 can work well although it would be risky to
rely on it for emergency use due to its reliance on the internet to
function.

 PSKmail's PSK63 signals are spectrum efficient when compared to Pactor
2 and especially Pactor 3. And over time it is not unreasonable to
expect that PSKmail will improve.

I quite disagree with you on the ham Katrina response. Having ALE would
have made no difference at all in our response. The fact is that hams
generally were the ones following the rules and moved out of the
affected area. Obviously, once they did that, they were no longer
available to operate from those affected areas and it was not safe to be
sending in untrained individuals to such wide spread disaster areas.
Only the military and trained personnel should be going into such areas
until things are secure enough for untrained. If a ham was trained in
some specialty for disasters, they would be used for that capacity, not
communications. Either way, ALE would not be involved since nets are set
up in advance on known frequencies of operation.

VHF voice is THE main communications medium for disasters. Most of the
communications are going to be tactical and immediate and if you have
had the ARRL ARECC training, you know that it is inappropriate to ever
use any keyboard entered messaging for such messages as there is too
much risk in terms of immediacy. You will occasionally find long
messaging needed for support purposes, health and welfare, etc. so it
has a place, but it is very low in terms of priorities.

My wife and I have actually been up all night providing communications
support for one of the Wisconsin Adventure Races. This event is an
intense activity including lengthy hiking through extremely difficult
terrain, accessing numerous targets (and proving you were there),
switching to canoe or kayak and negotiating over a very tricky river,
switching to bicycle and riding about 5 hours round trip to another
distant site to climb and then rappel down a 170 foot cliff and return
to the starting point.

We primarily used VHF voice with some use of Winlink 2000 via VHF Telpac
and some simplex, but mostly repeater access. We could have done it
different ways. While HF would be nice, there was only a couple of
operators who even have the license to operate HF, much less have any
interest in HF operations of this type. I wish there was more interest,
but it just is not there with most hams.