Several key points on Bonnie's comments:

1) RTTY contests are human operating events. There is no automatic RTTY
that I am aware of. Big difference! It is one thing to find an apparent
"hole" to TX into, but are able to back off if it is "busy." ALE would
be nearly inoperative during a contest if it is truly monitoring the
frequencies. Frequently, you will have wall to wall TX that take up the
band.

If you ever think that you can make an argument to preempt human
operation with machine, you will lose with the great majority of hams.

2) Having many ALE soundings on one frequency is beginning to sound like
packet collision issues where nothing gets through. This can work for
military, commercial, MARS, use perhaps where you have a fairly small
number of stations that would send at any one time. But if you had even
two stations sending on top of each other, wouldn't they trash the ALE
"packet?"

Then imagine having a lot more than 2! And if you only "sound" once an
hour, you won't even know that it did not work. Is this really practical
for amateur radio use in a band that has long distance capabilities
(sometimes world wide)?